Table of Contents
What are horseback riding helmets called? An equestrian helmet is a form of protective headgear worn when riding horses. This type of helmet is specially designed to protect the rider’s head in the event of falls from a horse, especially from striking a hard object while falling or being accidentally struck in the head by a horse’s hoof.
Should you wear a helmet horseback riding? A good helmet will ensure that even if you fall, your head is well protected. A serious head injury can also cause permanent damage to your nerves and reflexes, and even make you paralyzed! So, it’s always better safe than sorry.
Can you use a bike helmet for horseback riding? You can wear bike helmets while horse riding, but they aren’t safe because they don’t adequately protect your head. And most horse riding facilities that require riding helmets only accept certified horse riding helmets and will not allow you to ride with a bike helmet.
How do I choose an equestrian helmet?
- Always wear a helmet around horses, including handling.
- Buy the safest possible (multiple safety standards)
- Know your head shape and size (more on this below)
- New helmets should be snug, they’ll mould to your head over time.
- Get professionally fitted if possible.